Even as better methods of diagnosis and increased awareness helped push autism spectrum disorder into the mainstream, it’s still a disorder that is somewhat shrouded in mystery and misinformation. Public schools welcome students with autism into the classroom to learn alongside neurotypical students, providing them with the least restrictive learning environment possible. High functioning adults with autism are as successful and accomplished in their work lives as anybody else, and sometimes even more so.
Still, families raising children with autism and even high functioning adults with the disorder all too often find themselves struggling against stereotypes that simply don’t fit. Dealing with these misconceptions only compounds the challenges that come with trying to achieve success in school and the workplace despite the disorder.
Everyone whose life has been touched by autism in some way finds themselves looking for answers that will help them gain a better understanding of the disorder – parents and family members, teachers and school administrators, even friends and coworkers. And as ASD has come to leave its mark on popular culture it has even stirred curiosity in people who may have never met anybody with autism.
Here we provide answers to many of the questions parents, teachers and future ABA practitioners are likely to have. But we didn’t want to stop there. As part of the community of people who interact and work with children and adults on the spectrum everyday, we also wanted to dispel some of the common myths, celebrate the accomplishments of those living with ASD, and have a little fun exploring all things fascinating and wonderful about autism spectrum disorder.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can Autism Be Cured?
- How Can I Protect my Child with Autism from Being Bullied?
- How Do You Identify Signs of Autism in Young Children?
- How is Autism Diagnosed?
- How is IQ Testing Handled for Children with ASD?
- Is Asperger Syndrome the Same As Autism?
- Is Autism Associated with Higher Intelligence?
- Is Autism Genetic?
- Is Skateboard Legend Rodney Mullen Autistic?
- Is the Autism-Vaccine Connection a Myth?
- Was Albert Einstein Autistic?
- Was Forrest Gump Autistic?
- What are the Behavioral Extremes Seen on the Autism Spectrum?
- What are the Extremes of Intelligence Seen on the Autism Spectrum?
- What Changes Can I Expect to See in a Teenager with ASD?
- What is an Autistic Savant?
- What is Emotional Dysregulation?
- What Is High-Functioning Autism?
- What is the Relationship Between Autism and Impulse Control?
- What Makes Some People with Autism So Good at Math?
- Where Can I Find Free ABA Services for My Child?
- Why are Boys More Likely to Have Autism?
- Why Do People with Autism Have Issues with Social Skills?
- Why Do Some People with ASD Have Such Difficulty Communicating?
- Why is ASD Frequently Associated with Anxiety and Depression?
- Why is ASD Sometimes Associated with Aggressive Behavior?
- Why Is Autism So Prevalent Now?
- Why is Routine so Important to People with ASD?
- Will Having Students with Autism in My Kid’s Class Impact Their Learning?
Fun Lists and Helpful Tips
- 5 Creative Geniuses Whose Autism Contributed to Their Success
- 5 Pseudo-Science Myths About Treating Autism
- 5 Signs Your Child Might Have Autism
- 7 Tips for Talking to Kids with Autism
- 10 Things You Can Do with an ABA Degree Other Than Work with Kids with ASD
- Top 5 iPhone and Android Apps for Children with Autism