Applied behavior analysts are the modern heroes of positive behavioral change. Their work with children and adults with autism spectrum disorder may have brought the practice of applied behavior analysis to the forefront in recent years, but ABA has been used for decades as an effective approach to addressing behavioral problems stemming from mental health issues, behavioral and substance addictions, neurological disorders, and much more.
Even as ABA has established itself as one of the most effective therapies for managing behavioral health, ABA licensing laws have only recently been established in many states. Other states are just beginning to propose legislation that would require ABAs to be licensed, and still others have no regulation pending.
Even amid this lack of uniformity, there is a definite trend toward uniform licensing requirements and a national consensus that a master’s degree, pre-professional experience and certification are the minimum requirements to practice independently. Still, until the time uniform licensing laws are put in place, questions remain.
AppliedBehaviorAnalysisEDU.org is here to answer those questions. We are committed to providing up-to-the-minute information as new laws come online and existing laws evolve. We made it easy to understand the licensing requirements and practice standards in each state in hopes of removing barriers for those looking to make a contribution to this important field.
Who We Are
We are an independent online publishing group that saw an opportunity to provide future and practicing ABAs with the first and only dedicated resource on state licensing, education options, earning potential, practice domains and more.
Since we have no affiliation with professional associations, lobbying groups, or government bodies, our only interest was to create a comprehensive resource that provides the kind of unbiased information aspiring and practicing ABAs have been looking for.
We owe a lot to our friends in the ABA community who consulted on this project and offered brilliant insights:
And we couldn’t have done it without our team of writers:
What We Provide
The writers and editorial staff that made AppliedBehaviorAnalysisEDU.org possible worked with state licensing boards, universities, and independent research firms to access the most current information available.
At AppliedBehaviorAnalysisEDU.org you will find:
- Detailed licensing guides for each state describing current and pending licensing and insurance laws
- National and local salary trends aggregated from surveys and job listings in each state
- Education options for teachers, psychologists, therapists and dedicated ABA practitioners that clearly link each degree option to the respective field
- Guides on BACB (Behavior Analyst Certification Board) certification options and who they are right for
- Resources on graduate and undergraduate programs that meet course requirements for BACB certifications
- In-depth write-ups on the many areas of practice and domains in which behavioral therapy is applied
- Blogs on current topics and emerging trends that impact the field