South Dakota has seen a significant increase in the rate of autism diagnoses among children, with the number of students in the state’s public school system on IEPs (Individual Education Plans) specifically for autism spectrum disorder nearly quadrupling in the 15-year period leading up to 2014 (US Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs, 2015).
- BehaviorAnalysis@Simmons - MS in Behavior Analysis online. No GRE required. BACB®-Verified Course Sequence.
- Pepperdine University - Online Master's in Applied Behavior Analysis. GRE scores are not required to apply.
- University of Dayton's - Online Master of Applied Behavior Analysis program. No GRE required.
- Regis College - Online Master of Science in Applied Behavioral Analysis
- Capella University - MS in Applied Behavior Analysis
- George Mason University - Online Applied Behavior Analysis Graduate Certificate
South Dakota school superintendents, parents and state legislators aren’t taking this news lying down. With so many students in need of interventions including applied behavior analysis therapy, the state has recognized the need to institute significant policy changes to ensure that assistance is available to those who need it.
In 2015, South Dakota Governor Dennis Daugaard signed a bill into law that would change how autism related medical care (including applied behavior analysis) is covered by insurance. Under the new law, insurance companies in the state are required to cover applied behavioral analysis for autistic children 18 years of age and younger.
Although the maximum cost benefit for ABA decreases as patients get older, (the law stipulates $36,000 as the maximum annual cost for children through age six, $25,000 for children ages 7-13, and $12,5000 for ages 14-18), the law makes South Dakota one of the few states where patients can seek insurance-covered ABA up to age 18.
Salary Figures For Board Certified Applied Behavior Analysts With Ten Years of Experience in South Dakota
Shown here are 2016 average salaries for ABAs with ten years of experience in South Dakota’s six largest cities, broken down by employment sector:
- Non-Profit Organization—$55,020
- School District— $55,262
- Government, State & Local— $58,205
- Private Practice—$57,906
- Non-Profit Organization—$56,192
- School District— $56,396
- Government, State & Local— $59,529
- Private Practice—$59,139
- Non-Profit Organization—$50,221
- School District—$49,708
- Government, State & Local— $52,869
- Private Practice—$53,351
- Non-Profit Organization—$50,681
- School District— $50,177
- Government, State & Local— $53,807
- Private Practice—$53,252
- Non-Profit Organization—$52,050
- School District— $51,822
- Government, State & Local— $54,799
- Private Practice—$55,257
- Non-Profit Organization—$52,478
- School District— $52,330
- Government, State & Local— $55,237
- Private Practice—$55,642
Salary Figures For Board Certified Applied Behavior Analysts Starting Their Careers in South Dakota
Shown here are 2016 average salaries for first-year ABAs just entering the field in South Dakota’s six largest cities, broken down by employment sector:
- Non-Profit Organization—$43,348
- School District— $43,497
- Government, State & Local— $45,597
- Private Practice—$45,872
- Non-Profit Organization—$45,619
- School District— $45,731
- Government, State & Local— $47,979
- Private Practice—$48,351
- Non-Profit Organization—$48,600
- School District—$50,064
- Government, State & Local— $51,393
- Private Practice—$51,423
- Non-Profit Organization—$39,035
- School District— $38,612
- Government, State & Local— $41,002
- Private Practice—$41,462
- Non-Profit Organization—$40,127
- School District— $39,916
- Government, State & Local— $42,235
- Private Practice—$42,620
- Non-Profit Organization—$40,511
- School District— $40,362
- Government, State & Local— $42,971
- Private Practice—$42,629
Salary data for entry-level and experienced applied behavior analysts was sourced from PayScale.com in December 2016. Using its daily-updated database of salary profiles, PayScale’s proprietary algorithms provide access to real-time salary information.